The Egyptian Foreign Ministry late on Monday said the Rafah crossing has never been closed from the Egyptian side since the start of the fighting in Gaza on Oct. 7.
In a statement, the ministry’s spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid said the Israeli side is impeding the entry of aid into Gaza by imposing “obstructive procedures” along with weak justifications.
He called on those accusing Cairo of closing the Rafah crossing to go back to the UN and international relief statements which confirm that the Egyptian side is facilitating aid delivery in a fast and sustainable manner.
As the Israeli assault on the Gaza Strip entered its 39th day, at least 11,240 Palestinians have been killed, including over 7,700 women and children, and around 29,000 others have been injured, according to the latest figures from Palestinian authorities.
Thousands of buildings including hospitals, mosques and churches have also been damaged or destroyed in Israel’s relentless air and ground attacks on the besieged enclave since last month.
The Israeli death toll, meanwhile, is nearly 1,200, according to official figures.